Tuesday 20 July 2010

Space Invader!

Our rather precipitous return from our camping holiday meant that I had time to put together an entry for the Crafteroo Forum Summer Challenge (there's still time if you can get something made by Friday!). The theme is Space Invaders - which I've interpreted very loosely as anything vaguely alien!  I used Tom's (my youngest twin by 2 minutes) drawing of an alien as my starting point.  Here's the drawing - cute isn't it?!  Tom has just started drawing obsessively after barely picking up a pencil or felt tip before.  We are quite astounded and feeling very proud of him - we love his pictures - they are so full of imagination and verve. I've been wondering if I could try and get them printed up onto T-shirts and maybe even on some fabric.  I'm definitely going to look into that... my son the designer!

I thought about creating a softy with some felt, but in the end decided to turn to my trusty crochet hook, especially as I have lots of lovely new colours of yarn, picked up in the sale at my local wool shop. Here's the finished article - I dithered about adding a trunk-like mouth, but in the end decided I like it how it is.. poor alien is going to have to take in sustenance in some other way!  I also can't decide if it's a male or female, which is hampering any attempt to think of a name.. any suggestions gratefully accepted.  Maybe I should ask Tom...

5 comments:

x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...

great alien! no idea if it's male or female so maybe an either sex name is best - you'd hate it if you found iout later you'd got the wrong sex!!!

Caroline said...

That is ace. :)

Maybe you could get some plain t-shirts and fabric pens? K has done some at home before, and her whole preschool class (and teachers!) all made one for their end-of-term celebration. There were some fab designs! Personally I'd like to get a plain white duvet cover and let her go crazy with it...:D

Anonymous said...

HI you won my Patch Fabrics giveaway if you could let me know yr address I'll post your prize out to you asap xxbirgitta

Craft Matters said...

Thanks for the lovely comments! And wow I won a prize!

jillytacy said...

Your space invader looks great! I love that Tom helped design it. Very cool! Spoonflower.com will print on fabric for you so you could have his drawings made into fabric.