Monday 28 December 2009

Craft Neutral Christmas Bauble Swap

Very cute reindeerSlightly crazily, a little while before Christmas, I signed up to the Food of Love's Craft Neutral Christmas Bauble Swap. It was a bit crazy because I didn't really have time available to do it, but I couldn't resist - I'm always after more decs for my Christmas celebrations! And of course swaps are a great opportunity to experiment with new ideas - as you try to make things that you think will appeal to your swap partner.

All the lovely beaded starsMy partner was Caroline of Seawood Designs. She sent these brilliant ami reindeer for my 2 boys (they never made it on to the tree!). Caroline tells me that she used a free pattern that is available on the Lion Brand Yarn website if you want to have a go next year. As if that wasn't enough, she also very kindly sent these very pretty and delicate beaded snowflakes. I am sure that she put masses of work into these - they look very starry and shiny on our tree in amongst all the lights. I also got some rather scrummy G&B chocolate - although I nearly lost the chocolate to the boys and had to hide it in the bread bin! So a huge thank you to Caroline for being such a generous swap partner.

For my part of the bargain I did some experimenting with crazy patchwork to make a little tree, and had a go at making yoyo hearts for a wreath. Here they are:

Crazy patchwork Christmas treeYoyo heart Christmas wreathI was pleased with both of these - particularly the wreath. It was fun to make the yoyo hearts and I love the way the colours are Christmassy without being too obviously 'green, red and gold for Christmas'. The fabrics are all from a Kaffe Fassett charm pack that I got from Cotton Patch. I used this excellent tutorial at Penny Sanford Designs for the hearts. The wreath is made with a circle of twisted wire which I single crocheted round in order to form a good base to sew on the hearts. I sewed the buttons on at the same time as sewing the hearts to the base, if you see what I mean! All in all it was a hugely satisfying swap, so huge thanks to Eileen at Food of Love for organising it.

This is my 99th blog post! Look out for a 100th post giveaway coming your way soon.

2 comments:

x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...

oooh heart y0-y0's i likey!

Lisa, F is for Fischer said...

What a fun swap! I love your tree and your wreath. Very cool. Happy New Year to you all!