Sunday 4 July 2010

So, the dress is all finished...

Here it is..  not a terribly exciting photo I'm afraid, but at least it proves I tackled the dressmaking and survived.  Actually, it was pretty straightforward and unstressful in the end.  The pattern was a very easy one, and my sewing skills have significantly improved since I last did any proper clothes making.  I really enjoyed doing it, and am pleased with how it's turned out.  It's lovely and comfy to wear, and I think quite flattering too.  Having said all that, after nearly reducing myself to tears of frustration trying to find some fabric I liked to make the 'proper' version of the dress, I've decided to wear something else for the wedding.  And to cheer myself up I have bought a pair of these gorgeous red sandals as my starting point... Well, a girl can change her mind (and buy shoes) can't she?!  


I was tempted to just wear this dress, but there is a weird stripe on one side, because I bought it from a remnant shop. It was quite liberating working with such cheap fabric - it was great not to have to worry too much about cutting in the wrong place on some expensive stuff - I think that was partly what I was stressing about when it came to buying more fabric.  The upside of all this is that I have a lovely new casual summer dress, which I think will look great later on in the year too, with a long-sleeve top underneath, or a cardie on top. Result!


Now, I'm off back to lie on the sofa and digest my gooseberry fool.. ahh, Sunday afternoon bliss...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh. Looks fantastic!
Gemxxx

Shinykatie said...

Lovely! I kind of want to eat everything on your blog. I'm not sure what that means... or what that says about me.