Wednesday 2 January 2008

Crocheting... here's my first ever pattern!! And some business news...

I have made myself a hair tie which I guess some people would call a scrunchy, but I wont because I bloomin' hate that word... It just brings back awful memories of the 80s, spiral perms & hoooooge quantities of hairspray. Yikes.

Anyway, I have long hair for the first time since I was about 6 and so am always looking for bits & bobs to tie it back. Put that together with my enthusiasm for crocheting circular things (so much easier than straight lines!!!) and it seemed obvious to create myself something a little more attractive than our postman's 'generously donated' (i.e. chucked on the garden path) elastic bands.

Here's a pic of what I came up with:


It's not a great picture but I really want to do this post now so it will have to do for now!

The pattern:
(Using British crocheting stitches rather than American)
Take elastic band or other stretchy circular thing of your choice and some yarn and a hook of your choice - this is a very flexible pattern...

Round 1:
Use a reef knot to create the 1st stitch on your hook then use the elastic band as if it were a chained circle and create a circle of double crochet (dc). Keep pushing the dc stitches together to get as many stitches as possible on there, so that when the band stretches it wont look too gappy. When you have squeezed on as many dc stitches as possible join the round with a slip stitch.

Round 2:
Chain 2, then make your 1st stitch in the 3rd stitch away from your hook. Now treble crochet twice into each dc that you made in the 1st round. Join the round with a slip stitch.

Weave in the ends and taadaaa! You're done.


This is one of the ideas that I have been working on since Christmas for our shop. Obviously, since we were selling Xmas decs things have come to a full stop with people making purchases and so we have had lots of times to think & develop our ideas for how things are going to go forward. I would very much like to open an Etsy shop and stock it with things produced by me, dh (and possibly other people too) and also kits too. Using Ebay was good as a temporary measure but I don't think people necessarily come to it for the sort of stuff that we want to sell. I've got lots of ideas for simple stuff to put in the shop - tote bags, drawstring bags, blankies, hairclips and hair bands, bibs, card toppers (using S's lino cuts), maybe my girly felt bags too. It's very exciting but it does mean we have an AWFUL lot of work to do.

No comments: