Friday 7 November 2008

Personalised Christmas stockings

I've so enjoyed making these stockings as a custom order. I was a bit concerned about how the heck I was going to fit the names on to there, because they're not huge things - but it worked out just fine! They are meant as tree decorations rather than to hang up for Father Christmas to fill, but there's certainly space in them for a little tiny gift or two. Please ignore the awful Xmas tree I've used for the photos - we found this tatty number in my dad's attic & we thought it would be good for our product photos. Maybe not!!

The stocking itself is handsewn together and the fur is also sewn on by hand because my sewing machine can't get into such small places! The applique is done with wonderful wonderful bondaweb and finished with hand blanket stitching round the edge. I do love to blanket stitch but I always forget how to start - have to get my book out and look it up every single time... Hopefully I'll get some more custom orders before Christmas and then I can practise a bit more.

I now have another two to make for two more little girls. I've had fun today chosing the coloured felt & floral fabric that I am going to use. I can't remember if I have mentioned where I buy my felt from before. They're called Handmade Presents & they have fantastic stuff - gorgeous colours and 100% wool so it is a dream to work with and doesn't have that sheen that you get with cheaper felt. One of the things they sell at their site are these absolutely gorgeous felt animals. Take a look at their fab stuff!

No comments: